Sunday 18 March 2012

Belmont Tavern

The Belmont Tavern (aka Silks) is a really nice looking place on the inside. Outside, it looks a little dodgy, but once you are inside there is a very nice restaurant section, which included table service, and a waiter that did everything with one hand behind his back. Our group felt a little out of place, though, as we seemed to be about half the age of the rest of the patrons.


Food Choices
Minimal. Actually, there was only one vegetarian main. A vegetable tart, and it was $21.50. Which was over budget. All of their meals were over budget, which really surprised me. There was the usual sides, as well as a Soup of the day, which was a reasonable price. It was potato and leak, which was vegetarian. However, I went for a creamy fettuccine and mushroom meal, without the chicken. It was, like everything else, over budget at $21.50.

Food Quality


It was nice enough. I was quite hungry, and I enjoyed it. That said, it wasn't $21.50 worth of food. It wasn't amazing at all. Overall, it was a bit bland. I feel like I could have made something better myself and saved myself a lot of money. 






I wish I could comment on the soup, but I didn't try it. The garlic bread was cheesy and tasty, though. I guess, I wouldn't recommend this place for dinner as it's a bit more expensive for most mains. The options are also very limited, unless you want to eat only side dishes.

Overall Rating

1 point per vegetarian choice (max 3): 1 - 0.5 for the over budget food, and 0.5 for the soup of the day, which may or may not be vegetarian
Quality of meal (1-3): 1.5 - A bit bland, but not horrible
Value for money (1-3): 1 - Everything was over budget
X-factor (0-1): 0.5 - Whilst we seemed to be the over young people around, I'm giving them points as it was nice enough inside, and the waiter was very professional. However, I don't want to give them full points, as two of my friends ordered a dessert, and they were told they didn't have any left. This would have been fine if it has been at the time they ordered, but the waitress had to come back twice, one for each dessert, to inform us they were out.
Total: 40%

Guess I will have to drink my calories tonight...
Belmont Tavern (Silks Bar and Bistro) on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog!

    Just wanted to make you aware of something though, cheese isn't actually vegetarian. I spent 6 years of my vegetarianism thinking that cheese was okay to eat, and it wasn't until this year that I found out the rennet in cheese is made from calf stomachs!

    I always thought that was a dairy term, but the calves are actually slaughtered in order to extract the enzymes that make cheese hard.

    This means that eating cheese is just as bad as eating meat, if not moreso as it seems more like veal to me than just normal meat.

    Ricotta and cottage cheese are still okay though, and you can get a range of microbial or fungal cheeses that are vegetarian that you can buy at IGA. As for eating out I would avoid dishes with cheese like the plague. Oh - and never eat parmesan. There is actually no vegetarian rennet alternative for parmesan.

    Please let me know your thoughts, and I just really didn't want you to live your life thinking you were a vegetarian like I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline,


      Thanks for your comment. I was aware that cheese has contains rennet, but I tend to still eat it. I also eat foods containing gelatine. This is my personal choice. However, you make a good point that many vegetarians, such as yourself do not eat these things (and for good reason!) and I will make an effort to point out when I am eating these things.

      Delete
    2. Ooh okay, I thought you didn't know so I wanted to inform you just in case :) I wonder if i'm the only vegetarian that thought rennet was a dairy term for so long! haha. great blog!

      Delete