Friday 13 January 2012

The Generous Squire

The last time I went to this place they had amusing coasters. They didn't have them this time. It may have been because we were in the restaurant section; I didn't check.

Food Choices
Usual sides, plus 2 x pizzas (Margherita, Mediterranean: $18, $20), 2 x salads (Greek, rocket: $15, $12.50) and a roasted vegetable tart ($20). The soup of the day was mushroom ($11). Having arrived late, my friends had already ordered, so I didn't have a chance to ask about the soup of the day, or I probably would have picked that. I didn't want to eat pizza, salad or sides, so that left me the with vegetarian tart. I wasn't looking forward to it, but I thought I'd give it a go.

Food Quality

I wasn't really a fan of the tart. It tasted a lot like a quiche. The vegetables were fresh enough, and really there wasn't anything wrong with it, but it just wasn't what I fancied that night. To be fair, it was nice, but just not to my tastes.


My friend ordered the soup. She said it was really nice, thick and tasty. She definitely recommended it. 




Two other friends ordered each of the pizzas. They both described them as average.


Mediterranean
Margherita


Finally, I wanted to comment on the chips. They were really good chips. The beer batter gave them a really nice flavour and they were cooked really well. If you just want a bar snack, not dinner, I would definitely recommend this place to get beer and chips.




Overall Rating

1 point per vegetarian choice (max 3): 3 - One for the pizzas, one for tart, one for the salads
Quality of meal (1-3): 2 - I've giving it an exactly average mark, whilst the soup and chips were good, the other meals were still average.
Value for money (1-3): 1 - Everything was on the upper end of my budget.
X-factor (0-1): 0.5 - I'm just not sure about this place. I like the location, but at the same time it's hard to find parking. I liked the amusing coasters, but I didn't see them last time. I liked the restaurant section, but there wasn't enough room for my group.
Total: 65%

Guess I will have to drink my calories tonight...

The Generous Squire on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment